Monday, May 14, 2007

If an Ethiopian Answers My Cell Phone

Dear readers,

There are three possible reasons that a strange Ethiopian will answer my cell phone if you call it.

A) I have signed up at the last minute for a humanitarian mission to the Horn of Africa, but I have been captured and am being held for ransom by a gang of international terrorists in Addis Ababa.

B)I have fallen madly in love with my Amharic-speaking neighbor from down the hall, we have decided to elope, and he is holding all my calls.

C) I took a taxi to the airport this morning, driven by an Ethiopian driver, and I left my cell phone in the backseat of his car.

A or B would be much more exciting, but the answer, as you might have guessed (I'd be troubled if you were thinking A or B), is C. So if you call my cell phone and an Ethiopian answers, don't be surprised. I won't be able to pick it up until Friday.

No comments: